Annual air conditioner maintenance in Baltimore, Lutherville-Timonium, Ellicott City, MD and the surrounding areas is one of those topics that people have been debating since the first air conditioner was installed, probably. Do you absolutely have to get it? And what happens if you don’t?
We’re sure you have a neighbor or a cousin who never got his air conditioner checked up and he says it’s working just fine. But what does that really mean? And can your neighbor really guarantee that things will work out fine for you as well? That your air conditioner won’t break down right in the middle of August on a hot night? Do you trust him more than you trust a team of trained professionals? Read below a list of the most important reasons why an annual air conditioner maintenance is worth it!
Let’s put maintenance in simple terms. Think about your air conditioner as if it were a car. Both of them are mechanical systems. Of course, they do completely different things and we hope you haven’t mounted your car on the wall. We joke, of course.
But the idea is that both are made of pieces that require cleaning on a regular basis as well as inspections to make sure they are still in perfect working condition or adjustments if they are not.
In fact, building on the comparison above, if your air conditioner were similar to a car, it would register some 27,600 miles every single year. That’s why your AC being maintained by a professional HVAC technician is just as important as your car being serviced for a regular oil change, for example, by a professional mechanic.
Why Should I Go For An Annual Air Conditioner Maintenance?
If the comparison above was not enough, there is actually an entire plethora of reasons why an annual air conditioner maintenance would be beneficial for your unit. Here they are.
- You can get a head start with a spring cleanup
Who doesn’t love a good spring cleanup? And there’s no reason why that shouldn’t apply to your air conditioner as well. As springtime rolls around, it’s now been a few good months since you’ve used the air conditioner for the last time. This means that it probably won’t work at the highest of its efficiency when you turn it on in the summer. And there’s the mistake. You don’t have to turn it on in the hot season and find that it works poorly or that it doesn’t work at all if you get an annual air conditioner maintenance in the spring.
- Maintenance lowers energy bills and increases efficiency
Here’s a fact – for every year that you skip on air conditioner maintenance, its efficiency drops by 5 percent. There are several reasons for this.
- The indoor evaporator coils gather dust over time while the outdoor condenser coils get covered up by grime, leaves, and gunk. All the buildup will block the airflow as well as the heat transfer. As a consequence, the air conditioner will fail to cool off your house as it once did.
- The motor needs to be lubricated. If not, the friction will reduce its efficiency.
- The condensate drain could be clogged. In this case, the air conditioner might not be able to control humidity as the manufacturer intended.
- All of these factors, if left unchecked and unmaintained, will lead to a decrease in efficiency which, in time, will translate to bigger bills. The DOE estimates that by getting an annual air conditioner maintenance, you could save up to 30% on your energy bills.
- It prevents breakdowns and reduces the number of repairs
An air conditioner that doesn’t receive annual maintenance will always need to be repaired more often than one that does. The reasons are exactly the ones we’ve outlined above – the motor sees a lot of friction for lack of lubrication, the coils have buildup on them and cannot transfer the heat, the condensate drain is clogged, or maybe the compressor has died. The worst thing of all is that you cannot notice all of these problems until the air conditioner actually breaks down. However, if you performed an annual maintenance, your technician could catch the early signs and fix them to prevent a catastrophic breakdown. Remember that repairing your air conditioner over and over again is far more expensive than maintaining it!
- It prolongs your air conditioner’s life expectancy
Building on the above, catastrophic breakdowns happen when your air conditioner stops working all of a sudden or when it’s beyond repair. So what’s the opposite of that? Getting your unit checked every spring so that you can prevent a costly repair or having to replace it altogether.But an annual air conditioner maintenance session will also make it live a lot longer. The logic is super simple here. The better you take care of it, the longer it will live. Not to mention that an air conditioner in perfect shape will perform at peak efficiency, saving you money on your bills.
- Make sure you keep your warranty
In case you didn’t know, here’s a very important piece of information for you. Most manufacturers of new air conditioner models offer a strict warranty. Among other things, it states that it will become void if you do not get your AC maintained on a regular basis by an HVAC technician. Check the warranty you have now to see if this your case as well. If so, call us or schedule online to book a maintenance session for your air conditioner. If you’re planning on buying an AC, make sure to check the warranty before you do so.
- Service is faster and more flexible in springtimeIf you do want to get some maintenance, you should do so in the spring. The reason is that most people only tend to their air conditioners when they breakdown. That, of course, happens in summertime when the AC is actually on. Therefore, summer tends to be very busy for an HVAC company.
So call in and schedule your appointment ahead of time. Spring is a lot more flexible and you can receive faster service at that point in time.
SuperTech has a Savings Club which you can join if you’re interested in an annual air conditioner maintenance. You will benefit from services and discounts such as 20% off on repairs or 10% off on a new system plus priority in scheduling and service as long as you’re a member of the Savings Club.
Sign up for membership with the best AC repair service in Maryland to get all the best cooling benefits you could ask for!